Tips for Effectively Filing an Insurance Claim
Each of us will experience loss at some point in our lives. It can be upsetting to lose something, such as a household item or a vehicle, due to theft, unforeseen circumstances, or natural causes. Having insurance can help to alleviate the stress that comes with a loss. We’ve compiled a few pointers below to help you file insurance claims effectively, making the process a little easier.
1. Contact Your Agent Immediately
In the event of a potential claim, contact your agent directly rather than the larger insurance provider. Your agent can explain your options and advise you on whether filing a claim is in your best interests. Your agent may even file the claim for you in some cases.
2. Be Prepared With the Right Information
When filing your claim or making follow-up calls about the process, make sure you have the necessary information so that your communication is easier and more effective. Keep your inventory list and the details of your loss handy for your claims representative, as well as the following information:
- The customer’s name and address
- The policy number
- The date the loss happened
- A description of what happened
- A preferred telephone number for future contact
3. Report Your Loss Promptly
Always submit your claim as soon as possible. Of course, theft losses should be reported to the police first, and safety takes precedence in other situations of danger and urgency. However, you should contact your insurance agent once it is safe and reasonable to do so. This is significant because your policy may require you to make the notification within a specific time frame. Failure to file a claim within the time frame specified in your policy may result in the claim being denied or the claims process taking longer.
4. Document Everything
Having a paper trail is essential for ensuring your insurance claim. This could also be used as evidence in the filing of a relevant case.
5. Secure Proof of Damage
This will serve as documentation to support your insurance claim. You should provide the amount to be claimed based on the policy rather than waiting for the insurer to determine how much the claim should be.
6. Prior to the signing of confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements, you need to consult an attorney
This is to ensure that you may get hold of the full benefits based on the insurance policy:
- Ensure the list of inventory and other proof of possession like photos – to show proof of ownership of the property damaged;
- Ensure inventory of expenses – this is because the claim for an insurance policy is a tedious process and a full-time engagement is vital so as not to lose a budget to pursue the insurance claim;
- Quotation of estimates of damages is indispensable to discuss matters with the insurance adjuster;
- Record all important details of the correspondences to keep track of your development;
- Ask questions – this is an important technique to comprehend all the issues and to accurately secure relevant responses to answer to address the issues/concerns.
7. Document the Whole Insurance Process
Keeping track of what is happening during the claiming process is also helpful. Record your communication with your agent and keep all e-mails, letters, or calls and messages sent through mobile phone for basis in case some problems should arise.
8. Perform Emergency Repairs
Doing emergency repairs helps in the prevention of incurring more damages. You can check with your agent if your policy covers such repairs. Also, document the repairs done, and do not forget to keep the receipts from work finished.
Protect Yourself From Fraudsters
Natural disasters, such as hurricanes or earthquakes, provide opportunities for some con artists to offer their fraudulent services. To avoid scammers, it is best to consult your insurance provider for repair service recommendations to ensure that you get trustworthy workers who will not steal your money. Loss can be a depressing experience, which is why insuring your valuables can be a big help in starting over.
At John Perry Insurance, our mission is to find the insurance policy that best suits your needs. If you are looking for a dependable insurance company in Florida, contact any of the numbers below: 863-777-4966 (Clewiston), 239-204-3211 (Fort Myers), 863-588-7336 (Labelle), or 863-824-5393(Okeechobee).